This transport route may have an ugly name, but the bridge’s is not – it is known as Ha’penny Bridge.
The name evokes a long-gone time and use – it was formerly a toll bridge, where the toll master would have charged people a halfpenny to cross the river.
The bridge itself was built in 1792 by James Hollingworth, and had an alternative name – the Town Bridge. It formed part of the old turnpike road that linked the Swindon area of Wiltshire to Burford in the Oxfordshire Cotswolds.
The name of Ha’penny Bridge hasn’t been true for years; the halfpenny toll for pedestrians wishing to cross ended back in 1839, after a local revolt.
The toll house still exists today, on the bridge’s north side.